Monday, December 13, 2010

Summer Reading List 2008

"Fargo Rock City," Chuck Klosterman
I bought this book thinking it was just going to be Chuck's personal experiences, but it's more of an analysis of heavy metal culture. Of course, I still loved it. He justified my liking of 80's metal (hair metal, even!) I'll still probably call Bon Jovi a "guilty pleasure," but from now on I have an ally. The most exciting moments in this to me were about GNR. Now I will just open the pages of this book to point out how musically gifted they are (were?) instead of arguing with anti-metalist's.

The Mitford series by Jan Karon:
"Out to Canaan"
This one was much easier to get through - much more happened. I loved some of the breakthrough moments. I'm taking a break from the series now to read some other books. I'll be back to them eventually!

"Franny and Zooey," J.D. Salinger
I loved it. I wouldn't expect less - it is Salinger - but the stories were perfect. They weren't more than conversation really, but the characters created in that dialogue were vivid and endearing. I got really strong visuals from of the stories as well, which I love. The Glass family cannot be ignored as one of the greatest group of literary characters ever created.

"The Shining," Stephen King
This was MUCH different from the movie. It was almost 700 pages, but I couldn't stop reading. Stanley Kubrick took a lot of the context away behind the actions in the movie and reading the original book made everything much more clear and easy to understand. I really liked it! It wasn't as terrifying as everyone had said it would be, though. Then again, if any of it happened to me, I would have freaked out far before the characters in the book did. READ!

"sTori Telling," Tori Spelling
I have this strange new obsession with Tori Spelling. I started watching her reality show and god knows why, because I have hated her since childhood. I loved 90210 & watched it religiously, but hated her. Anyway, I started watching it and became addicted, which is a first for me & reality tv. I was just surprised by how normal, goofy, and smart she is. Their family's adorable. Of course, I had to get the book to get all the details of her life. I got it yesterday in the mail & finished it already!

"Sloppy Firsts," Megan McCafferty
I found this in my room when I got back to Boone because Sarah has been reading it. I thought it looked dumb, but I finally opened it last night anyway. I finished it in like 5 hours. It was really good! It surprised me. It also pissed me off with such an abrubt ending, but then I realized it was a series. As if I need another series to read when I'm already in the middle of 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment