Monday, December 13, 2010

School Year Reading List, 2007-2008

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice:
"Interview With the Vampire"
It took an unusually long time to finish this with moving/starting school/homework, but I did. I wish the movie would have been more like the book - both are wonderful, but this explains so much more!
"The Vampire Lestat"
Seems like it took me forever, but I'm finished. This answered the many questions that Interview left me with. I really liked it a lot even if it was a completely different style/concept from it's "prequel." Keep in mind that these books intertwine through different time periods and should be read in the order they were written to maximize their marbled plots.

"Tart," Jody Gehrman
I finished this in a night. It was definitely just a guilty pleasure, but one that I couldn't put down.

"Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story," Chuck Klosterman
Chuck's just a genius to me. I agree with 95% of his opinions & he's just a crack-up. I laughed out loud reading this on the bus everyday!

"Amusing Ourselves to Death," Neil Postman
A highly cynical look at tv/the media, but so true! Postman might be a little extremeist, but only to warn us not to take entertainment as seriously as we should be taking reality.

"On The Road," Jack Kerouac
I unfortunately read this in a really choppy manner - only on the bus. However, it was lovely. I've never fallen in love and pitied a character at the same time or longed to know the tragic subject of a story until I read about Dean Moriarty. READ IT.

"Slash," Slash & Anthony Bozza
His autobiography was INTENSE. I loved to read about how all of my favorite Guns songs came into being. Have to love GNR/Slash/etc. to love this. I've read better autobiographies, but this was pretty good.

"Mediated: How the Media Shapes Your World and the Way You Live in It," Thomas De Zengotita
Inventive & relevant study of the media and the options it leaves us with. It was written more like a conversation than a serious academic book, though it was one.

"The Image," Daniel J. Boorstein
I thought I was in for an extrememly boring/shitty read, this being the oldest out of all the media-related books I had to read for Foundations, but it was actually extremely applicable. Describes modern day behavior, though written in the 60's - may actually be more relevant than the others in some ways?

The Mitford series by Jan Karon:
"At Home in Mitford"
These books are light, happy reading. They have moments of sadness like most fluff-reads, but they're still happy in nature. I've seen them on my mom's shelves for years & they're set in the NC mountains, so I figured why not? Pretty fast & easy! A good start to a series.
"A Light in the Window"
Pretty much just like the other one, but a lot of things that were introduced in the first book were resolved and that's always pleasing. Also getting more intense in the relationship department (i.e. more sexual innuendo in the conversations) though not much, of course, because the main character is a rector. I'm not even sure why I'm reading a book with a rector as the main character in the first place...
"These High, Green Hills"
It took me a long time to read this because nothing happened in the first 60% of the book. Once things started going, however, it was intense..... as intense as these kind of books can get. A main character dies, a new one is introduced, and you fall even more in love with the red-headed boy who's grown up as the series has progressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment