Monday, December 13, 2010

Reading List, 2010-2011

If anyone has input on these unread ones, good or bad, let me know! I'll definitely take it into account before I read.

"Fight Club," Chuck Palahniuk
I was terrified to read this. I love the movie so much that I thought I would forever ruin a film that will always be in my top 10. I was so, so excited to find that the book was just as beautiful as the movie, and that the two are perfect partners. Fight Club deserved every shard of praise that shone and still shines upon it. It makes me sad to know I will never, ever write something that gorgeous. My only qualm: the last chapter, aka the ending. The movie trumps the shit out of the book here.

"Clapton: The Autobiography," Eric Clapton
Sweet reading gods, I finally finished this. The best way to describe this autobiography is that the first 100 pages had a flat line, while the last 228 had a heartbeat. The first part of the book was SO packed with names that I couldn't tell anyone apart, even the people I knew. He also seemed quite content with skipping over some of the earlier happenings in his life, but it made me feel like he didn't care much. However, he got me crying later and said some moving things about music. Overall, this was good, but not the best rock bio I've ever read. I'll give him props for his America obsession as a child (I have the reverse with the UK) and the last paragraph.

"Uncharted TerriTori," Tori Spelling
As usual, delightful, funny, and everything I wanted to know! It furthered my belief that Tori and I are friend soulmates, as half of her health encounters mirrored my own. It actually helped me in a time of great health strife to read about Tori's troubles. I appreciated this book so much.

"The Great Gatsby," F. Scott Fitzgerald
Not that I didn't read this in high school, but I spent my summer re-reading it by the pool. I forgot how much I loved the imagery in the first half of the book. While the ending was much more grim than I even remember, I still love this story. It's almost painful how beautiful Fitzgerald's sentences are, not to mention how amazing of a character Jay Gatsby is.

"Nerd Do Well," Simon Pegg
I have the biggest lady wood for Simon Pegg, so I was really ecstatic to find a signed copy waiting for me on my desk one day. (I WAS IN HIS THOUGHTS FOR A MILLISECOND. I CAN'T EVEN FULLY COMPREHEND THIS NOTION!) While there were some things I was wishing he'd expound upon more, it was still lovely to get a peek inside this man's head. It had me laughing and even crying at some points. I honestly think all high schoolers should be forced to read this tale, as it, more than anything, is the journey to finding who you are and not being afraid to go for it. I truly believe if I'd have read this when I was 16, my whole life would be different. Pegg has a beautiful vocabulary and some incredibly meaningful words about life in general to share with everyone. I recommend it, especially for girls like me who bake "Shaun of the Dead" cakes and drink out of a "Spaced" mug.

1 comment:

  1. I could not get past the first chapter of "Paint it Black" and once you pick it up you'll know why. It hurt alot.

    "Alice in Wonderland" is classic, it's great.

    I personally LOVED all the Sisterhood of Traveling Pants books. Much better than the movies.

    I suggest you read "Are You There Vodka? It Me Chelsea."

    ReplyDelete